66 replies to this topic

#31 Aaron

Aaron

Big Dork

• Admin
  • 18540 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Lost Lake

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

Okay, so here's my quick reply....kind of a "hit and run" since "free time" for me has been quite scarce for a while.

Here goes - First off I ask for things like this to be handled privately. The forums has a decent private messaging system. If that's not desired I can be contacted privately and mediate tensions. Back-and-forths like this do a disservice to the nearly ten years of community we've enjoyed here. I planned on coming to this topic and removing posts from public view but can't really due to it starting in the first post and so many responses making this all public...so minimizing it's "publicness" is useless now. We're a big community and ugliness is bound to rear its head, and does as those of you know who've been around for years.

Community, whether good or bad, has ugliness like this and is unavoidable. What I want here is a community that loves, and is loved, through kindness, compassion, forgiveness, etc. During times like these I hear of people that have left our community because they've been hurt or offended. I don't like to hear that people have been hurt and/or have left. It's a shame that they go and, primarily, they go to facebook. This ugliness is everywhere. You won't escape it within facebook. The difference is here people care about each other. Facebook could give a rats ace about anything other than making money off of you. So there was a flare up here. Do we let that throw away ten years of community? Do we say we give up on this place? I hope not. I believe we're supposed to be kind/love all....and not just those that are easy to be kind to/love. At this point I say we should trust that those involved will make up behind the scenes (private message or email?) and going forward that we all realize we're not all wired the same way but regardless we love all no matter how hard it is to do.

And let's focus on what we have in common, our emotions relating to this - showing love to the EP/RMNP area by finding out what we can do to help. In the near future I'll be sharing information on what the forums will be choosing for an entity local to EP/RMNP where our donations can go DIRECTLY to those in need in the immediate area. That will come soon and have its own topic.

I now return you to the topic's original, core discussion - flood aftermath. Thanks for hearing me out and enduring my unashamed love-hippieness.

#32 Scrapinator

Scrapinator

Confirmed RMNP Addict

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2644 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: The one I'm on

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Excellent, Aaron!  I love unashamed love-hippiness!

Edited by Scrapinator, 15 September 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#33 Rhonda

Rhonda

RMNP Addict

• 7825 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Odessa Loop

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

Ditto to Becky's post.  Let's move on and play nice.  Sorry if I got overwrought with emotion!  I have some really good friends here and I sure don't want to lose them.

#34 Mr. Jinks

Mr. Jinks

Expatriate Romonapian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1945 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Above Treeline

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

I'm so sad about this catastrophe. We love Estes. We spend about five weeks a year in Estes. Our youngest son has lived and worked in Estes the past two summers. Right now it's an emergency. Resecue the stranded, find those unaccounted for, restore essential services. Survival. Of course this is the priority. But soon the visitors need to return. Tourism is how Estes survives. It's why disasters like this are doubly hard on tourist towns.

Edited by Mr. Jinks, 15 September 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#35 Allie

Allie

other half of the set <><

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9501 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Wild Basin Area

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

I love what you said, Aaron, and appreciate your words.  I'm sorry I didn't say things privately to the person who offended.  I, too, am going to apologize to all of my forum family.  Now let's get back to the matters at hand.

Aaron, as soon as you decide how RMNPforums will be collecting money for our friends in Estes Park and the surrounding communities, let us know. 

#36 PrimroseBarb

PrimroseBarb

RMNP Lover

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Lion Lake #1

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

I cannot think of the words, except to say that I am humbly grateful for the love you all so obviously have for our town. We love you, we need you, and it helps to know that even those who don't live here are thinking of and caring for us. Thank you so very much.

Barb

#37 Melanie

Melanie

1/2 of a set <><

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5215 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Wild Basin

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

I would also like to extend my apologies to all involved. Aaron has always run a truly family based, loving site, and today that did not show. With that being said, let us all go back to what we all love and care about, our second home, Estes Park and RMNP.

Melanie

#38 Dianne

Dianne

RMNP Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Snow

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

We brought our 11 year old granddaughter to the park in July, her first time.

She is so distraught at the news.  She's been asking about the Dam Store, Estes

Donut Shop, and Meeker Park Stables - Sundance and Snazzy horses.

She then thought of all the people she met....

The guy at the Wildlife Photo Art, wondering if the lady from the yarn shop lives in

town and how she's doing, and if all the people at Meadow Mountain Cafe are ok.

I've been reading the forum to gather some news for her.

I'm so glad to see all these names from the past.

This is heartbreaking for us, we can't imagine what you are going through right now.

Our prayers are with you

#39 epjunkie

epjunkie

RMNP Lover

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

Not going anywhere, Aaron, because you are here!

Jack D.

#40 DrCloud

DrCloud

Ancient Forest Gnome

• Administrator
  • 1585 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Over the Top

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:25 PM

I'm not sure I'd bet my mortgage (If I had a mortgage) on this, but it's looking as if this whole persistent weather event may be winding down. We had intermittent sun on Saturday, so Sunday's (nearly) all-day rain was depressing in addition to its adding insult to injury. But the satellite imagery, the radar, and the NWS forecast all seem to be pointing to a drying trend starting tomorrow and continuing.

The interesting thing is that, this coming week, overnight low temperatures are forecast to be 10-15° lower than last week and before -- so it's all a harbinger of Fall. We saw the beginnings of the aspen turning on our drive from Santa Fe to Estes Park on Friday; just keep in mind that there are many other places in Colorado that could satisfy that aspen craving if you really need to satisfy it. Steamboat Springs; the Roaring Fork Valley; the Vail Valley; Grand Mesa out west; SW Colorado in general -- these are all spectacular spots in the Fall.

Sorry we're essentially closed in Estes Park, but don't let that spoil your late-season vacation in the mountains. HPH

#41 jflo

jflo

Igloo Ed Wannabe

• Administrator
  • 4394 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: The one I'm on

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for all of the updates Cloud and HPM. I am thankful for all of the news. Prayers for all involved. Aaron, thanks. I thought about responding as well, but I'm glad you did first. Love you all, and let's keep praying, and offering our support.

#42 TylerBranch

TylerBranch

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Mills Lake

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:16 AM

I hate this for all of you locals.  I'm remembering the nightmare that was the flood of 1993 here in St. Louis and the surrounding areas, and how much work was put in by thousands of volunteers in an attempt to save communities, or to help with clean up.

When it IS the right time for we out of town folks to show up and lend a hand with recovery and clean up, please... let us all know.  I'll be there.

#43 DrCloud

DrCloud

Ancient Forest Gnome

• Administrator
  • 1585 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Over the Top

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hmmmmm.

Today, there's this peculiar yellow light up in the sky -- too bright to look at. And patches of the clouds have turned a lovely shade of blue.

What could this all mean?

Seriously, it was quite socked in first thing this morning, but, like fog, it's burning off. The first day of no rain (assuming this holds) in more than a week is going to be cause for celebration around here. The Big Thompson through town is still running full and muddy, though, and downtown is still shut down. Cross your fingers. HPH

Edit: Oh, and I heard from Igloo Ed. Although he has damage, his house is still standing. But they won't let him (or anyone, I guess) get to it to start fixing things. It must be extremely frustrating.

#44 Joyce

Joyce

RMNP Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Wild Basin

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

Thoughts and prayers to all in Estes, Lyons and surrounding areas. The Missouri Task Force 1 out of Columbia, MO, which is only 30 miles from us, left Sunday morning and arrived late in the evening in Ft. Collins. They have been assigned to help in Estes Park and the Big Thompson Canyon. More help has arrived in your clean up and rescues. Stay strong and take one day at a time. If Missouri can get thru the 1993 flood Colorado can get thru this one. We all will be back to the place we love so much. Everyone be safe.

#45 HighPlainsMedic

HighPlainsMedic

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1922 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Can't choose

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

Former student.. lives in Estes, wasn't able to get to her dogs before the roads were washed out...  A neighbor was able to feed the dogs and Jen got there today and walked 3 out and carried one..

This is just above Big Elk Meadows turn off,

See hiking gear comes in handy at all times..

Dogs are now fine.. back with momma..

1239953_10151847335969264_1099325045_n.j

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users