#1 AprilForever

AprilForever

Minister of Misinformation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Sky Pond

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hi everyone! My fiancee and I will be headed to RMNP on our honeymoon in about two months, and I have been monitoring the snow conditions. I was wondering, what are the snow levels in the park like, especially Glacier Gorge? I have been following trip reports on this site and 14ers.com, and it seems that in general in the park people are saying snow levels are low, but I couldn't seem to find anyone much addressing the upper Glacier Gorge area. Also, how much more snow has been added by the recent snowfall? Thanks everyone!

#2 John

John

Forum Fanatic

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21150 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Glacier Gorge

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Congratulations! My wife and I honeymooned in Estes Park/RMNP 30 years ago this June! By 2 months from now, there may be some snow at about 10,000' but nothing that should get in the way of your adventures. We hiked on snow a bit for our honeymoon trip, but it was all packed down on the trails, so no problem. I also carried a Styrofoam cooler and a vinyl travel bag with our lunches, jackets, etc. as we didn't have backpacks. If you enjoy seeing people look at you and try not to laugh, you can follow our lead. :smile:

#3 mathguy

mathguy

RMNP Lover

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Hallett peak

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Can't answer all of your questions, but the SNOTEL data I've glanced at indicates snow levels are at
about 70-75% of average (so somewhat low). Within the Park snow depths seem to range from
40 to 50 inches at the higher elevations. But I agree with John that unless there's some major
additional snow in the next 2-4 weeks you will likely have no problems anywhere in the Park by
the time of your visit.

#4 misssilly

misssilly

Flower Freak

• 4458 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Anywhere RMNP!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Hello AprilForever!

I would say that the recent storm dumped about 2" on the lower valleys of the park, at least on the east side, but much of this is melting fast. There are lots of places where the grass is becoming exposed. I was out in Horseshoe Park today and the snow layer in the valley was maybe 34" in the drifts. On the west side (where I live), the valleys are melting out, but in some areas, you might see 12" still.

That said, most of this snow in the lower reaches of the park will be gone in a month or so. You should always bring extra layers to the mountains, but you probably won't need winter gear in June. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users