10 replies to this topic

#1 af4caster

af4caster

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:17 PM

Hi everyone! My name is Aaron, and I am new to this board.

My wife and I are going to be bopping around Colorado from July 6-18th, ending with 4 days at RMNP. It was my wife's idea to go on a hiking trip in the mountains. At first I was not too excited, but after doing research (a lot of it on this board), I am REALLY excited. We are just a little confused as to what kind of clothing to wear while we hike. We are both physically fit, and hope to hike up some of the tougher/higher trails. Will we be ok wearing shorts and t-shirts...with maybe a pullover in our pack for when we get higher? I see that there seems to be quite a bit of snow on some of the hikes, does that mean that it will be too cold for shorts up there?

Whatever help you can all give us would be great!

Thanks!

#2 Igloo Ed

Igloo Ed

Information Minister

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5911 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: The top

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:45 PM

That time of year a T-Shirt and shorts is good enough to go to the top of any of the peaks in the area. But, depending on the weather, it would be wise to bring pants, a sweater and a rain jacket/wind breaker. Some light gloves too, they don't weigh much. It's also good if one of the group brings one thing real warm in case someone gets hurt and needs to lay there until rescue comes. Most people don't do this and get away with it.

#3 bpv_UW

bpv_UW

Live each day.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2069 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: The next one.

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

That's good advice from Ed. If you can, shoot for non-cotton on the shorts/t-shirt and the pants/sweater. Also it's nice if the windbreaker and windpants are breathable, but not absolutely essential. When I'm hiking high trails in the summer, I usually start the day in shorts, short-sleeve t-shirt, and a fleece jacket. I'll end up taking off the fleece fairly quickly, but I usually end up putting it on at various times during the day when I'm in higher, windier locations. Rarely use any of the other layers, but better safe than sorry.

-Brandon thumb.gif

#4 SandyP

SandyP

I love my forum friends :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3580 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Meadow Mountain

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:55 PM

Have you narrowed down any specific hikes yet? You are going to LOVE IT! Your wife is a wise soul and you are going to thank her. Even if you have your doubts at moments on the way up :)

#5 John

John

Forum Fanatic

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21785 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Glacier Gorge

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:05 PM

Some kind of rain protection is important. Storms tend to hit when you are far away from the trailhead.

#6 Dianne

Dianne

RMNP Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Snow

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:08 PM

Wear SUNSCREEN

#7 Guest_lbattson_*

Guest_lbattson_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:47 PM

Some of the more isolated peaks people just hike naked....check with Ed........rfr

#8 junkie

junkie

RMNP 9.24.09

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2507 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: Sky Pond

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:15 PM

Good advice so far.. .i like zip off pants if i'm starting really early - you can lose the pant legs as it warms up or put them back on later. north face makes a nice pair for about $65 but you can find cheaper versions.

Make sure your fleece is a fleece and not a sweatshirt. Always pick you clothing assuming you are going to get caught in a downpour. A soaking wet sweatshirt is no fun. A soaking wet fleece becomes a dry fleece pretty quick. make sure your t-shirt is a lightweight non-cotton material.

As far as raingear goes - I learned the hard way - make sure its REAL raingear not just some nylon jacket that you think will keep you dry.

You are going to have a blast... your wife is a wise soul. Lots of people (myself included) never though of hiking as something they would really enjoy and then wham, you try it once and you're hooked. Its hard to describe why walking in the woods is so fun to someone who has never done it...

Edited by junkie, 26 June 2008 - 10:16 PM.

#9 Igloo Ed

Igloo Ed

Information Minister

• +Donation Rewards
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5911 posts
  • Favorite RMNP Hike: The top

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (lbattson @ Jun 26 2008, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of the more isolated peaks people just hike naked....check with Ed........rfr

I don't hike without my hat!
Gettin kinda thin on top, don'cha know.

#10 af4caster

af4caster

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the advise everyone! I can't wait!!

#11 REI_Fan

REI_Fan

New Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:47 AM

I did camping last July /2008 and all I brough was pair of pants and sweater for the nights while sleeping, but ended up just taking the sweater off and sleeping in my pod. But a sweater and light jacket that you can stuff away on the trail would be wise just in case. But July for us was wonderful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users